Click here to jump to the testimonial statement.
The new railway line will comprise 47 km of tunnels, have over 100 bridges and 23 modern railway stations and stops along the route. The project is being hailed as one of the most important transport infrastructure projects currently underway in Europe. The construction of the project is due to be completed by 2023 with the route being fully operational by 2025.
The Koralmtunnel KAT3 construction lot recently broke through completing the last of Koralm Tunnel drives in St. Paul im Lavanttal, Carinthia, Austria. A Herrenknecht 9.94 m diameter Multi-mode TBM was used. This type of machine has the capacity to operate in both EBP and open modes to cope with changing ground conditions along the drive. This particular length of tunnelling work covered the final 10.474 km of the tunnel and included a curve with a minimum radius of 3,000 m. The drive commenced in October 2015 and was recently finish on the 17th of June 2020.
The multi-mode design of the TBM was necessary because for about the first 4 km of the drive the TBM drove through sedimentary rocks of the Neogene period and through the Laventtal main fault zone in EPB mode. In June 2018, after two months of conversion work, the TBM started driving the remaining 6 km (approximately) in the open hard rock mode.
The construction site is owned and managed by major infrastructure contractor PORR which has had a long-term relationship with both Herrenknecht and VMT in connection with other tunnelling projects.
To support tunnelling, VMT supplied the necessary navigation and other site management systems including TUnIS Navigation TBMLaser system alongside TUnIS Navigation Office software, VMT’s TUnIS Ring Sequencing system, SLuM Ultra (VMT’s Automatic Tailskin Clearance Measurement System) and VMT’s RCMS (Ring Convergence Measurement System). The VMT systems were purchased as part of the TBM contract and mainly installed during the machine build. The RCMS system was installed later during the course of 2019.
VMT engineers also provided on-site training for project staff during the course of the project as well as the purchasing of spare parts when required for the navigation system.
The site team also worked with the VMT team to site test various other VMT products which included the new central box LDT.connect and the ELS3G target unit.
Testimonial Statement from Joachim Geißbauer, site manager for KAT3
“Koralm Tunnel Construction Stage KAT3: 10,500 m through most difficult geology
The Koralm railway is part of the new southern railway line. The heart of this new line is the approximately 33 km long Koralm tunnel which connects the two provinces of Carinthia and Styria.
The Koralm tunnel is being built in three construction stages. The third and last construction stage KAT3 extends over a length of around 12 km and will be driven in the north tunnel, for the most part with a tunnel boring machine. The Koralm tunnel crosses the massive Koralpe mountain range with a maximum overburden of about 1,200 m. The two tunnels run with a centre distance of around 40 m and are connected to each other every 500 m by cross-sections. Due to the project length at the KAT3 construction stage of about 11 km, it was necessary to efficiently connect and evaluate the data from segment production, the tunnelling (TBM data) and the surveying work as well as the results of the geological and geotechnical monitoring.
With the support of VMT GmbH and its products, the machine and survey data could be collected and merged.
Furthermore, in geologically challenging areas, the RCMS convergence measurement system was able to produce a condensed record of the ring convergences, which was also linked to the existing survey data from the tunnelling.
- Thanks to good cooperation between an experienced customer and experienced service experts from VMT, the challenging drive was masterfully executed through to the final breakthrough
- Due to the long construction period of about 5 years, it was periodically necessary to overhaul the systems used or to adapt them to changing specifications. The employees of VMT GmbH always completed this task to the utmost satisfaction
- Thanks to VMT’s service support, all the client’s key requirements were met and the tunnelling work was completed successfully”
At a Glance Fact Sheet:
To strengthen our project team in the field of navigation at our location in Bruchsal, near Karlsruhe, we are looking for a Surveyor as Project Engineer (m/f/d) at the earliest availability.
- As a member of the Project Engineering team and after an appropriate training period, you will independently carry out the organizational, technical and business management of projects worldwide.
- You will review and implement planning documents, carry out any surveying tasks, including network measurements, stakeout, and tunnel surveys, and install and launch our navigation and information systems.
- At our customers’ job sites, you will conduct training courses for the navigation and additional systems used, and will serve as a competent contact person throughout the entire project.
- Studies in the field of surveying, geodesy, geoinformation, civil engineering or a related field of study. Undergraduate degree preferred, but not required
- Alternatively, completed education as surveying technician
- Knowledge in handling surveying evaluation software and CAD programs
- Ideally experience in engineering surveying
- High degree of self-organization, flexibility, negotiation, and communication skills
- Willingness to travel worldwide (approx. 60% travel activity)
- Category B (or 3) driver’s license
- Competent, individual support during the on-boarding phase (sponsor model) for an easy start
- Canteen with internal cook, daily fresh fruit and vegetable baskets and flat-rate drinks
- Support for a stress-free commute, such as e-bike leasing
- Strengthening of company culture events such as ski holidays, summer party, beach volleyball tournament, and Christmas party
GUIDED BY VMT.
With its surveying systems and services, VMT is a leading supplier in tunnel construction and industrial surveying. Nearly 2,400 successful tunneling projects worldwide and more than two decades of experience in industrial surveying document the performance and innovative strength of the VMT product portfolio in the fields of navigation technology, production and logistics management, deformation and process monitoring, data management and industrial surveying.
In the industry, VMT is considered a competent, reliable partner – known for its high quality standards and the great commitment of its employees.
The VMT Group currently employs approximately 220 people – at the company headquarters in Bruchsal and in the subsidiaries or agencies in Melbourne, Seattle, Shanghai, Singapore, New Delhi, and St. Petersburg.
Have we piqued your interest?
Then please send your detailed application, exclusively as a PDF file, stating your earliest possible starting date and salary expectations, by e-mail to: personal[at]vmt-gmbh.de.
VMT GmbH | Tanja Hoffmann
Keyword: Project Engineer Navigation
Phone: 07251 9699-140
Stegwiesenstraße 24 | 76646 Bruchsal
personal[at]vmt-gmbh.de | www.vmt-gmbh.de